Saturday, January 20, 2007

Dont know what to do

I was just informed that there was a fatality up at my work. I dont know much about what happened but I do know that the man was young and was not married. I bet his family is devistated. I guess he was overcome by H2S gas. Basically it shuts down your breathing and if not moved out of the area you are gone in a matter of minutes. We have it all over my work and we where H2S monitors on us all the time but in concentrations high enough you will be down and out before the alarm goes off. I dont know what to do but ask for everyone who reads this please keep his family in your prayers

4 comments:

Ragged Around the Edges said...

I will certainly keep the family in my prayers. Keep us posted.

You doing ok?

Rudy said...

Im doing fine other than I cant stop thinking about it. I hope to get some more details of what happened. Monday morning they will make an annoucement and hopefully be then know something. Everything so far is speculative. I just cant see a healthy 35 year old having a heart attack.

Ramblin73 said...

I think you guys should never ever be alone at work. I know this won't make it 100% safe, but you just gotta wonder if there had been someone with him if it would have turned out different.

Rudy said...

Our standard pratice is if you see someone go down, survay the area for what it could have been. H2S monitor going off or something else, ie..electrical, headknocker, slip trip fall. Then if it is in the area like this you would get on the emergency band on your radio and call for help. Then goto the nearest SCBA box and don the equipment. But even then you should have a backup person incase something goes wrong. In a situation like this you are on your own. We have rules like this due to the fact that this stuff has happened in our field of work and usually if you rush in then they are dragging out two bodies instead of one. I havent heard anything else but they still dont know exactly what got him. We will know probably some time this week and new protocols will be emplimented.