Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Pond update

I know everyone is getting tired of hearing about the pond but I wanted to update everyone. The pond had nice clear water for about the first two weeks. During the first few months of a new pond, the water is seeking a balance. You need the right combination of critters and plants to get to this balance. Well the plants took over and when I mean plants, I mean algae. The water went from clear to murky to incredible hulk green in a matter of a couple of days. We have place plants in the pond but they are still pretty small and starting to grow. Looked over at Brando and said that if we want to see the fish, we are going to need a filter. She gave me the go ahead to get it. Me loves me Brando. I have spent my budgeted money on the pond and still don't have any fish in it other than the two that I put in there from the aquarium. But being the wonder wife she knew that I would not have said it if we didn't need it. I am hoping that when the plants get big we will not have to run it as much. Any hoo, the first few days we didn't see much of a change. I checked on it closely everyday I got home. Then about day five I started to notice the waterfall looking a bit clearer but still not crystal clear. Then on day seven, when I got home Pilot was standing on the patio and said, "Looks like you water has cleared up." I walked up and to my amazement the water was really clear and you can start to make out rocks at the bottom of the pond. I was floored. I would have never thought that it would have been such a night and day change this fast. This morning when I got up and checked on it, the water was even clearer. I am really happy about the filter and the plants are really going nuts with a growing spurt. Last night I also saw one of the fish I put in there a week ago and he looked like he was quite at home. Hope to get some more fish soon. I hope to post some more pics soon also.

2 comments:

Brando said...

I must admit, the pond looks great, but Rudy is over budget. So he better hope he needs nothing else. :)

Ragged Around the Edges said...

Sounds like it all came together. We'll need more photos, you know.